EVANGELISM GUIDE for NewWorld Church
Scriptural Mandate for Inviting Others to Your Church and to the Door (Jesus) of the Kingdom of God
- “Jesus came near and spoke to them, “I’ve received all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I’ve commanded you. Look, I myself will be with you every day until the end of this present age.” (Matthew 28:18-20, Common English Bible Translation)
- “… you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:8)
What's the #1 Reason Why People Join a Church?Because they were invited by someone in the church!
A Powerful Fact About Church Attendance in the Greater Houston Area: There are 5 million people in the Greater Houston Area. On any given Sunday, only 400,000 (less than 10%) attend a church. So, even with all of the great, mega-ministries in the Greater Houston Area (Lakewood, Second Baptist, Windsor Village, New Light Church, Church Without Walls, Church of the Woodlands, St. John’s UMC Downtown, etc.), there is still a SIGNIFICANT need for churches to reach people with the good news about Jesus Christ and The Kingdom of God! This fact implies, also, that MILLIONS of people in Houston are looking for a different kind of experience from the church. If they were looking for status quo they would already be in the mega-ministries listed above.
You Are to Invite 5 People to the ReLaunch (feel free to exceed this minimum request)
- Invite at least 2 people to come just to support YOU. Ask friends and family to come and support you!
- Invite 3 people who are potential NWC members.
What Kinds of People Are Potential New Members?
- People who are in a crisis and need support from others will connect with a church if invited, often.
- People who are in some kind of transition often look for a new spiritual home.
- People who don't have family or close friends living close to them often seek connection with a church.
- People who dont have a church home are always good candidates for an invitation to your church.
- People who don't have a relationship with Jesus are in need of your invitation to church and to The Kingdom.
- People who are unhappy at their current church may need a new church home.
- People who are not being given a chance to utilize their gifts through their current church often look for a new ministry where they will feel valued.
- People in mega-churches often seek churches where they feel more connected and personally known.
- People who are turned off by traditional churches often enjoy the NWC experience.
- People who are new believers often like the idea of being in a new church.
14 “Places” to Find People to Invite to Church
v Among your friends and family members
v Among co-workers, employers, and employees
v At gyms and health clubs and in fitness classes
v In your neighborhood
v Among your fraternity or sorority members
v At entertainment clubs
v At barbershops and hair salons
v At restaurants, especially Luby’s
v In your favorite shopping centers
v Among your child’s sports-league parents
v Facebook & twitter
v Your personal email database
v At the airport while waiting to board your plane
v On your plane in route to your destination
Different Ways of Witnessing & Inviting
· Relational: through the bonds of a relationship you share your experiences of the goodness of the Lord and invite your friends and family to “taste and see” for themselves
· Canvassing: going into a neighborhood and distributing information about your church and/or about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God
· Random: connecting with people, randomly, in the normal course of your life, and as the Spirit leads you to do so, you inviting them to your church
· Public Relations: inviting and sharing information in places where people gather and connect, including online “places” like facebook and chat-rooms
· Personal: giving someone you know a special, personal invitation in the form of a card or note
· Ministry-Based: making your church and The Kingdom attractive by serving people and meeting their needs
· Mass Information Release: inviting people through use of mass distribution of information (postal mail or email)
How Your Church is Going to Help You Invite Others
ü ü We will give you some very nice, attractive cards to hand out to family, friends, and others.
ü You can participate in our canvassing efforts in the community on September 3 and September 10.
ü Link people you know to NWC’s facebook page and website where they will find clear and accurate information about our church.